The key to avoiding soil erosion is sediment control and a well-designed drainage system with ample ditches and detention ponds. With careful planning, knowledgeable designers and engineers managing a ditch control project you can achieve success. Patriot Utility Services provides ditch control service to avoid soil erosion throughout the state of Texas. We have offices in West Houston near Katy, Texas and provide services across the lone star state. Call (636) 208-0921 or email us requesting a free quote for your private, farming, or civil sediment control project. Katy, West Houston, Fulshear, Cypress, or anywhere else in Texas.
Soil Erosion & Ditch Control Services
There are many factors and considerations to take into account when designing and building drainage systems and control ditches.
- Proximity to Waterways
- Moisture Level in Surrounding ditches and detention ponds
- Average rainfall per year
- Type of soil
- Downhill buildings and structures
- Construction contractors building the ditch
- Nearby and uphill dams
- Stability of the ditch basin
- Erosion control
- Ditch Erosion
- Surrounding ground composition (for example grass or concrete)
Ditch & Soil Erosion Control FAQs
Control ditches catch water-driven sediment and control erosion to secure drainage systems and water flow. If a discrepancy in intended water flow occurs the planned flow of water in the drainage system can be fixed by installing a control ditch.
Ditch checks slow down the flow of water to reduce soil erosion and channel erosion. A ditch check is constructed by building a temporary dam to slow the flow of water through a ditch, detention pond, swale, slough, channel, pond, lake, or other area that water normally flows through at a high rate of speed
Farmers need to control erosion to irrigate their plants and funnel water to their farm animals’ troughs as drinking water. It’s also important for civil planners and infrastructure projects tasked with preventing flooding in densely populated communities and along important highways and roadways. Construction companies need experienced soil control and drainage engineers to ensure efficient water flow. Home owners need to ensure that water flows away from their homes when it rains to prevent flooding and costly damages.
Techniques to Prevent Soil Erosion
- Installing erosion mats
- Affixing erosion blankets
- Sediment traps
- Rock, aggregate, or stone ditch check filters
- Manmade ditch checks
- Hay bale ditch traps
- Installing erosion netting
- Plant soil stabilizing plants and trees along the ditch basin and border
- Installing an underground drainage system to bring water away from streets, structures, and homes
- Creating a better design with considerations above that affect water and rain flow long-term
- Drainage System Construction & Design
- Horizontal Directional Drilling
- Trenching & Tunneling
- Underground Construction
- Sitework & Earthwork
Contact Us for a Free Quote
Contact Patriot Utility Services to request a free quote for storm drainage control to avoid soil erosion and sediment. We’ll assess the conditions conducting a ditch check, then after considering factors affecting water flow and erosion we will determine what strategies may work best for your unique setup. We provide soil erosion control and control ditch design-build services across Texas and look forward to helping you with your project.